Friday 5 August 2016

Mushroom, Wild Rice and Feta Salad

I apologise for the slightly haphazard nature of posting currently. I am on school holidays and things tend to get slightly erratic over the summer, I've been to Spain and I am currently in the Isle of Wight (this post is scheduled) and then Northumberland. Other things have also conspired against me and I haven't been doing a lot of cooking, I've sort of lost my mojo a bit. I'm hoping once things get sorted and at least a semblance of normality returns that normal service will resume, until then bare with me.

I made this salad right at the beginning of the holidays. It's one I have been wanting to make for ages but I had to wait until British asparagus season rolled around. It's a lovely flavourful salad, which takes a bit of effort but not too much, perfect for a lazy weekend. I topped it with a poached egg that needed using but it's just a lovely without.




















Mushroom, Wild Rice and Feta Salad (from Closet Cooking)
(Serves 4)

200g basmati and wild rice
2 tbsp oil
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
225g mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
salt and pepper
450g asparagus, trimmed and cut into bite sized pieces
2 tbsp chopped dill
3 tbsp balsamic vinaigrette
salad leaves
40g feta or goat cheese or blue cheese, crumbled

Preheat the oven to 200C.

Bring a an of water to the boil and add the basmati and wild rice. Cook according to packet instructions.

Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan. Add the onion and saute until tender, about 3-5 mins. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about a min. Add the mushrooms and saute until just going golden brown, about 10-15 mins, season with salt and pepper.

Meanwhile, toss the asparagus in the oil along with some salt and pepper. Spread the asparagus out in a single layer on a baking tray and roast in the oven for about 10 mins or until tender.

Mix the rice, mushrooms, asparagus, dill and balsamic vinaigrette together.

Divide the salad leaves between 4 bowls. Top with the mushrooms and wild rice followed by the roasted asparagus. Sprinkle the feta on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment