Saturday 20 August 2016

More Eating! Isle of Wight Edition

So over the last couple of weeks I have been to my parents for my Father's 70th birthday, to the Isle of Wight and to Northumberland. This post will be a celebration of the birthday and the Isle of Wight.

My Father selected the menu for his 70th and we had all his favourites. 30 people came for lunch and we had caterers in to do the food. We started with Prawn Cocktail and Avocado, followed by Beef Wellington with new potatoes and veg and then Eaton Mess. It was delicious and the day was beautiful so we had drinks in the garden to start with.


On our way to the Isle of Wight we spent the night in London and went for dinner at my sister's flat. She made Mary Berry's Chicken and Bacon Lattice Pie followed by Peach Cobbler,  both were absolutely delicious.


Then we got to the Isle of Wight. I went with my Mum, cousin and my sister popped in for the weekend. We rented a beautiful National Trust cottage at St Helen's on the Isle of Wight.


It was about a 10 mins walk from the village of St Helens and a 5 minute walk from the beach. There were 3 decent restaurants all within walking distance. The first we tried was Ganders in St Helens, I went for the Bouillabaisse. It was absolutely delicious and I got a whole red mullet fillet, a whole salmon fillet and a large mussel in a really flavourful tomato sauce.


We went to The Garlic Farm. They often have a stall at Alexandra Palace Farmers Market and so I have had bits and pieces from them before. I bought some toasted garlic mayonnaise and some black garlic. There was also some Black Garlic and Chocolate Ice Cream on offer and I had to try it. It was lovely, liquoricey and chocolatey.


We then went to Baywatch on the Beach, which was right on the beach at St Helens. I had fish pie with a side salad and it was really good and full of fish.


My Mum had Garlic Prawns and Chips that I'm told that too was really good. She had it twice during the week!





















We spent a day at Osborne House, Queen Victoria's summer residence and now run by English Heritage. We had lunch in the Terrace Restaurant and I went for Sweet Potato with Spicy Lentil and Chickpea Stew. That too was very good, gently spicy and felt lovely and healthy too.


We went out to Baywatch on the Beach for Breakfast one morning and I went for the Sunshine Breakfast - basically a full English. It was much needed and I loved the inclusion of the fried cherry tomatoes, which are one of my most favourite things.


On our last night we went to Dan's Kitchen in St Helens. My main course was a Chicken Burger, which was decent, but it was the dessert which was really special. Chocolate and Honeycomb Mousse with Marshmallow, White Chocolate Ice Cream and Salted Caramel and Honeycomb Sauce. It was out of this world. Rich and velvety and crunchy with the honeycomb. 

I'll be back in a couple of days with the delights of Northumberland.

1 comment:

  1. I went to the Isle of Wight on a school trip when I was eleven and have very fond memories of the place - I bet the food we had then wasn't a patch on this, though!

    ReplyDelete