Saturday 26 September 2015

Fesenjan

I saw this made on an episode of Nigel Slaters - Eating Together, where he met people from all over the world and got them to make a traditional recipe. This one really caught my attention and I knew I wanted to make it. That and I have almost a whole bottle of pomegranate molasses sitting in my cupboard, (any ideas of things to do with it greatly welcomed!). I really loved this dish, nutty but delicious. I served it with brown rice.

















Fesenjan (from Minimalist Baker)
(Serves 3-4)

1 large yellow onion, diced
3-4 tbsp olive oil
70ml pomegranate molasses
170g walnut halves
2 chicken breasts, cut into cubes
500ml chicken stock
2 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp sea salt
pinch each cinnamon, nutmeg and black pepper

Toast the walnuts in a shallow pan over medium heat for 8-10 mins or until golden brown and fragrant. Once cooled, transfer to a food processor or blender and blend into a fine meal. Set aside.

Heat a large pan over a medium heat. Once hot add 1 tbsp olive oil and the onions. Cook until soft, stirring occasionally.

In a separate pan over medium heat, cook the chicken in two batches in a bit of olive oil. Once browned, add it directly to the pot with the onions. Once all the chicken is in the pan, add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and add the pomegranate molasses, honey, turmeric, cinnamon, nutmeg, pepper and walnuts. Simmer for 15-25 mins, until desired thickness is reached.

Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Serve over rice or with a naan.

No comments:

Post a Comment