Wednesday 22 January 2014

Fennel and Ginger Soup

I went back to WeightWatchers last night and was slightly aghast to discover that I have gained half a stone since I last weighed in, which made me pause for thought. I think this is partly because I have gained muscle through doing pilates, but also mammoth eating in France, Christmas eating, new medication, and not being all that careful probably explain it! I am also doing far less exercise than before because I've been told to be very careful with my back. I know what I need to do but have only small amounts of motivation to actually do it and I have so much food in the freezer that needs eating! I'll get there, I'm not sure about this new simple start business though!

I made this soup for the first time when I was properly doing WeightWatchers but forgot to take pictures and post it. I made it again at the weekend and although it's a thinnish soup it is packed with flavour from the ginger.
















Fennel and Ginger Soup (from WeightWatchers)
(Serves 4)
(0 WW ProPoints Per Serving)

cooking spray
350g fennel, chopped
5 medium shallots, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 tsp root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
2 tbsp coriander, roughly chopped
900ml vegetable stock
zest 1 lemon
salt and pepper

Spray a saucepan with cooking spray and sauté the fennel, shallots or onion and garlic until softened, but not browned, about 3-4 mins.

Add the ginger, coriander, stock and lemon zest and heat until almost boiling. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 mins.

Blend the soup with a hand blender and then reheat. Season, then ladle into bowls and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment