Thursday 28 November 2013

Roasted Tomatillo Salsa

So in a effort to use up some of those tomatillos still hanging round my kitchen I made salsa. Tomatillos have a very particular taste that is, I think, like a very tomatoey tomato, although it's not from the same family. My sister didn't like it much, I do, but in small quantities. I used most of this salsa heated up over pinto beans and rice as I don't really have much call for salsa. It was really tasty though. I halved the amount of chilli I used because of my chilli problems, although I think my tolerance is building! It's all those chilli spiked gozleme I keep eating!
















Roasted Tomatillo Salsa (from Wellness Today)

450g tomatillos (or green tomatoes)
2 jalapeno chillis, seeeded and roughly chopped
1 onion, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1/4 tsp cumin powder
1/4 tsp chilli powder
1/4 bunch coriander, roughly chopped
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
juice half a lime
salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 180C.

Cut the tomatillos in half and place them on a baking sheet with the jalapenos, onion, and garlic.

Bake for 30 mins. Remove veggies from oven and leave to cool.

Once cool, put the roasted ingredients into a food processor or blender with the lemon, salt, pepper, chilli, cumin, and coriander.

Adding the olive oil in a steady stream, blend until the mixture is smooth and even in texture.

Serve with tortilla chips.

1 comment: