Monday 25 November 2013

Blackberry Cinnamon Rolls

I went to my sisters one evening a little while ago and as she was cooking the main course, I made a pudding. I had had enough of apples so I made a blackberry pudding instead. Technically these are not real cinnamon rolls as they don't have yeast in but they were very tasty nonetheless.

I also just wanted to make a quick note about quantities. Sometimes my amounts look a little weird like 113g butter or 63ml milk, this is because I'm using American recipes, which use cups and then transferring them into grams, which never comes out at a nice number! The recipes work though, even with the weird numbers.
















Blackberry Cinnamon Rolls (from Food.com)
(Serves 4)

113g butter or margarine                           
113g sugar
125ml cup water
94g cup self-raising flour
63ml milk, at room temperature
110g blackberries
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp demerara sugar
 
Preheat the oven to 200C. Put half the butter into a 13cm round or oval baking dish. Then place it in the oven as it heats to melt the butter
 
In a saucepan, heat the sugar and water until the sugar melts and then set aside. 
 
Place flour in a mixing bowl and rub in the butter using your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add the milk to the flour mixture, stirring with a fork until the dough leaves side of bowl.
 
Turn out the flour mixture onto a floured surface and knead 3 or 4 times. Roll out the dough to a 14cm by 11cm rectangle, roughly a half a cm think.
 
Spread the berries over the dough and then sprinkle with cinnamon. Roll up the dough into a cylinder like a swiss roll and cut into 1cm thick slices.
 
Carefully lay slices of dough in the baking dish over the butter. Pour the sugar syrup around the slices. Bake in the oven for 45 mins, sprinkle sugar over top and bake for 15 mins more. Serve with ice cream.

2 comments:

  1. How lovely! I wonder if this would work well with other fruits as well?

    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so. Cinnamon rolls are usually made with sultanas or raisins I think, and I've seen apple versions so most fruits would work!

      Delete