Monday 16 September 2013

Bread and Butter Pickles

I made pickles! I've been wanting to make them forever and I finally got around to it. I like my pickles quite tart so I reduced the amount of sugar in the recipe and I love them. I've just been eating them out of the jar! They also go really well on burgers.
















Bread and Butter Pickles (adapted from Smitten Kitchen)
(makes 1litre)

450g Lebanese cucumbers
1 large onion, thinly sliced
50g sea salt
115g sugar
150ml distilled white vinegar
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1 tbsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp coriander seeds
1/4 tsp celery seed

In a medium bowl, combine the cucumbers, onion and salt. Mix well. Cover the mixture with ice. Let stand at room temperature for two hours.

In a pot, bring the sugar, vinegar and spices to a boil. Drain the cucumbers and onions. Add to the vinegar mixture and bring almost back to a boil. Remove from heat and cool. Pour the mixture into sterilised jars and seal.

You can store the pickles in an airtight container for up to three weeks in the fridge. They will begin tasting pickled in just a couple hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment