Wednesday 5 June 2013

Mexican Egg and Rice Scramble

This is something I came up with to use up halves of things before I went away for the bank holiday weekend. I had half a tomato and half an avocado that needed to be used and the only meal I needed to make was breakfast. There were many ways this could have gone, but I fancied something rice based and the avocado and tomato made me think Mexican, so the scramble was born.

The traditional way of making egg fried rice, which is essentially what the base of this is, is to use cold cooked rice but I actually prefer using just cooked rice, I like the texture with the eggs better, but of course you can use cold cooked rice if you like it that way or you have any left over. I also only used a little spice, we all know I'm not good with chilli but add more to your taste. This turned out really well and as a bonus it was nice and sunny on Sunday so I sat out in the garden to eat it!
















Mexican Egg and Rice Scramble
(Serves 1)

50-60g rice
1 tsp oil
1 egg, beaten
pinch cumin
pinch chilli powder
1/2 tomato, diced
1/2 avocado, diced
1 spring onion, chopped
1 tsp coriander, chopped

Bring a pan of water to the boil and cook the rice according to packet instructions. Drain.

Heat a frying pan with a little oil and pour in the beaten eggs and stir. When the eggs are half scrambled add in the rice and spices and continue to stir.

Add the tomato, avocado and spring onion and mix to combine. Transfer to a bowl and sprinkle over some coriander. Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment