Tuesday 25 June 2013

Mars Bar Cake

This brings back memories of childhood. It's the cake my Mum always used to make for our birthday parties and after school tea with friends etc. The recipe came from a nursing friend of my Mum's and it's now made by both my sisters and myself for parties, book clubs and pacifying clients.

The original recipe only called for two Mars bars but since then Mars bars have shrunk and so you now need three of them. Although I'm sure that Mars would hotly dispute the diminishing size of their Mars bars, the proof is in the pudding (or cake). Having experimented, two is now not enough to hold the cake together and three works perfectly. The cake is so good, my book group ate it all up in minutes with many asking for second and third helpings and they kept telling me how good it was. But seriously, what could be better than melted Mars, crushed biscuits and chocolate, so simple but so good!
















Mars Bar Cake

60g butter/margarine
3 Mars bars
1 tbsp golden syrup
225g digestive biscuits
150g milk chocolate

Melt the butter, Mars bars and golden syrup together in a saucepan over a low heat or in a bowl over a pan of boiling water if you're prone to burning chocolate like me!

Meanwhile, bash/crush the digestive biscuits with a rolling pin until they half are like breadcrumbs but there are still some chunks.

When the mars mixture is melted add in the digestives and mix well to combine, then tip into a greased and lined tin.

Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of boiling water and spread on top of the mars and digestives. Place in the fridge and leave until it sets. When set, turn out of the pan and cut into squares.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks! I looked through a bunch of Mars Cake recipes and found yours to be the best and simplest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the one my Mum used to make for birthday parties when I was a kid!

      Delete