Friday 3 May 2013

Pork in a Mushroom Paprika Sauce

This was delicious if it did nearly kill me! I have these little sacks of paprika that have been hanging around in my kitchen for a while and by a while I mean a few years. I assumed that because they'd been there a while the flavour and potency would have decreased somewhat. This proved not to be the case!! I used all hot paprika in this recipe and nearly blew my mouth off!! Next time I make it, it's going to be half hot half sweet or smoked as I loved the flavour but it was a little bit too spicy!

The original recipe used pork chops but I swapped them for loin steaks and I grilled rather than fried the meat, which probably meant that there was less meaty flavour in the sauce but it still tasted pretty fantastic. I served it with spaetzle as I had some from the Christmas food parcel that my Mum had given me but it would be just as good with pasta.
















Pork in a Mushroom Paprika Sauce (adapted from Closet Cooking)
(Serves 4)

1 tbsp oil
4 loin steaks
salt and pepper
1 tbsp low fat spread
1 onion, chopped
225g mixed mushrooms, chopped
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp plain flour
1 tbsp paprika
250ml beef stock
120ml sour cream
2 tbsp dill, chopped

Preheat the grill.

Season the pork loin steaks with salt and pepper.

Grill the pork until just cooked all the way through and golden brown on both sides, about 2-4 minutes per side and set aside.

Meanwhile melt the low fat spread in a frying pan. Add the onions and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.

Add the tomato paste, flour, paprika, dill, salt and pepper and stir. Add the stock and let it bubble and scrape to deglaze the pan. Simmer until the sauce thickens.

Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream and dill. Serve with pasta or spaetzle.

No comments:

Post a Comment