Wednesday 17 April 2013

Grilled Taleggio, Onion Jam and Endive Sandwich

I am a total fan of a grilled cheese sandwich and a bowl of soup. I think this is definitely an American thing as you can walk into the numerous delis and just order soup and half a sandwich there, which is not the case here in the land of chain lunch places.

I used caramelised onion chutney which was the closest thing I had to onion jam and it worked really nicely. I also liked the contrast of the bitter endive with the cheese and sweetness of the jam. I served it with a Sugar Snap Pea Soup which I'll post tomorrow.

The sandwich could also be made with other breads, the original recipe used sourdough, and fried in a frying pan if you don't have a panini press.
















Grilled Taleggio, Onion Jam and Endive Sandwich (from Gourmet Magazine February 2008)
(Serves 4)
 
4 panini rolls
4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tbsp onion jam
400g chilled Taleggio or Italian Fontina, sliced
8 leaves escarole

Assemble the sandwich, cut the roll in half and spread the jam over the cut side of the rolls, lay the cheese on top of one side and then the endive, put the top half of the bun on top.
 
Heat your panini press and cook for 8-10 mins or until the roll is crispy and the cheese melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment