Friday 19 April 2013

Broccoli and Rice Casserole

I'm trying out some of these cream of soup casseroles beloved of some Americans and they've been really tasty so far. This is the first one I made and then I had a taco casserole earlier this week, both were very flavourful and tasty and the soup definitely added something to the dish. This casserole was one of the last meals of my vegetarian week, which I completed and then realised that I'd eaten meat!

On the Thursday I had an appointment in central London and thought I'd do some evening shopping afterwards. I was hungry, so I got a steamed bun from one of the vendors in Chinatown and I picked chicken without thinking about it, I didn't even realise till the day after! So I didn't quite complete it but given that I was fairly restricted that week I think I'll try it again sometime anyway!

The only annoying thing about these cream of soup dishes is that I can't find a low fat version in any supermarket. It may be that they simply don't exist here, at least they're cheap in Poundland!!
















Broccoli and Rice Casserole (adapted from Budget Bytes)
(Serves 6)

1 medium onion, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
200g basmati rice
400g broccoli, broken into florets
300g can cream of chicken soup
100g cheddar, grated
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
black pepper

Preheat the oven to 180C.

Bring a pan of water to the boil and cook the rice according to the packet instructions.

Bring another pan of water to the boil and cook the broccoli for 3-4 mins. You don't want it cooked fully as it will cook more in the oven.

Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and cook the onion until soft and transluscent. Drain the broccoli and then add the broccoli back to the pan with the onion and cream of chicken soup, black pepper and cayenne.

Once the rice has finished cooking, combine that with the broccoli and soup mixture. Add in 3/4 of the cheese and transfer the mixture to a casserole dish Top with the remaining cheese and bake for 30 minute. Serve with a green salad.




1 comment:

  1. Ooooh I've always been intruiged by baked rice dishs and this looks lovely! Will have to give this one a go.

    ReplyDelete