Monday 18 February 2013

Mini Lemon Yoghurt Cupcakes

So these cakes have a bit of a crazy story behind them. Well not crazy but more interesting than I ate this it was wonderful! If you've been reading this blog for any length of time you will know that every so often I make cakes for the various book groups that I run, especially Mad Hatters, which is for the 11-14 year olds. A few of the girls can't eat chocolate and as many of my bakes seem to be chocolate heavy I thought I'd cater to them one week, and found this Lemon Yoghurt Cupcake recipe and thought perfect!

Instead of making full sized cupcakes I plumped for mini ones, I am trying to feed 40ish kids here! So I thought I'd make the original recipe and a half, to make 18 full sized cakes and 36 mini ones right? WRONG, this is the wonderful expanding batter! I think by the end I'd made about 60 cakes and I only had one 12 hole mini muffin tin so it was a quick turn around each time one was ready to come out of the oven! To be fair no-one complained and many of them even had two!

My mum also iced them all whilst waiting for the sofa so not only did I come home to a beautifully clean flat but I also came home to iced cakes! I was frugal with the icing sugar as I didn't have all that much left, so they only got a drizzle rather than a whole layer but they still tasted fantastic.
















Mini Lemon Yoghurt Cupcakes (from Blue Kitchen Bakes)
(makes about 30 mini ones, 12 full size)

250g caster sugar
50g butter
2 eggs
200g low fat natural yoghurt
grated zest of 1 lemon
250g self raising flour

For the icing
100g icing sugar
juice of 1/2 lemon

Preheat the oven to 180C and line a mini muffin tin with cases.
 
In a mixing bowl beat together the sugar, butter and eggs until light and creamy then beat in the yoghurt. Add the lemon zest then fold in the flour. Divide between the cupcake cases and bake for 15 minutes until risen, lightly golden and an inserted skewer comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
 
To make the icing pour the lemon juice into a large bowl and gradually add the icing sugar, stir the sugar in until you get a thick spreadable icing. Drizzle some icing on each cake and leave to set.

No comments:

Post a Comment