Thursday 31 January 2013

Vegetarian Christmas Burgers

I realise it is a little late to be posting Christmas recipes at the end of January but I did make these after Christmas, froze a bunch and then had one last week. It was again a good way of using up that leftover uncooked veg from Christmas. The original recipe used cranberries but I didn't have any, what I did have in abundance though is frozen sweetcorn so I added that instead, making the burger feel a bit more summerish maybe?! I served it with cheese, tomato chutney and lettuce in a wholemeal bun.

I also quickly want to say that I love Shaheen's blog, Allotment2Kitchen, where this recipe came from. Although I am not vegan and not even vegetarian I have found so many recipes that I want to make!
















Vegetarian Christmas Burgers (adapted from Allotment2Kitchen)
Makes 8 burgers

100g bulgar wheat
1 medium parsnips, grated
1 medium carrot, grated
4 raw Brussels sprouts, grated
1 medium onion, grated
200g chickpea flour

40g sweetcorn, cooked
1/2 teaspoon dried sage
Salt and freshly ground pepper


Cook the bulgar wheat according to the packet instructions. When cooked, leave to cool.

Put the grated vegetables into a large bowl, stir in the flour, sweetcorn, sage and season to taste. When the bulgar wheat has cooled down add it to the bowl. 

Divide the mixture into 6 – 8 burger shapes and place on a tray. Leave to rest for a while to firm up.

Heat the oven to 200C and place the burgers spread out on a baking sheet. Bake for 30 mins until they look set and cooked but aren't too brown. They are then perfect for freezing at this point.

When ready to eat, defrost the burgers thoroughly and heat some oil in a wide frying pan. Cook the burgers gently for about 3-4 mins on each side until brown and crisp. Serve immediately.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for your kind words about my blog Nic.
    I do love your variation with the sweetcorn - you could call these Sunday lunch burgers now :) I've up-dated my blog post with a link to your variation. I am so glad you liked them, I have to be honest I have never frozen them as I made them at work to sell, but its good for me to know that they freeze well. I like you change of bulgar wheat, so much cheaper than quinoa, also I am so pleased you got the chickpe flour at a good price, supermarkets charge way too much for it. Happy eating.

    ReplyDelete