Tuesday 29 January 2013

Hairy Dieters: Toasted Crumpets and Warm Spiced Berries with Yoghurt and Honey

I am having problems with breakfast ideas at the moment. I seem to be bored of all my breakfast ideas and I've never eaten what most people would think of as a conventional breakfast as any member of my family will tell you. I simply don't have time in the morning to cook eggs or do anything fancy, I leave the house for work half an hour after I get up and I have a shower in that time and finish of whatever I've made for lunch usually too! So it's usually fruit and cheese or cheese and ham or a yoghurt, occasionally I branch out into crumpets and I have recently discovered potato pancakes with a spread of cream cheese.

So when I'm not busy at the weekends I like to break out of the mould and make something more elaborate. Last weekend I had a crumpet out of the freezer and wanted something more interesting than butter and jam on it. I have been watching the Hairy Dieters TV series back having recorded it over Christmas and I also bought the cookbook months ago and haven't made anything from it. The majority of the recipes seem family orientated and seem difficult to make just for one. However, I did remember seeing this breakfast recipe and hunted it out.

I was totally lazy though. As this was a last minute impulse I used frozen berries, defrosted them in the microwave which also warmed them up a a bit and stirred in the mixed spice. It probably wasn't quite as good as heating them in a pan but it worked for me. Delicious breakfast though and I loved how the berry juices turned the crumpet pink!
















Toasted Crumpets and Warm Spiced Berries with Yoghurt and Honey
(adapted from The Hairy Dieters Cookbook - Hairy Bikers)
(Serves 2)
(6 WW ProPoints per serving)

4 crumpets
100g fat-free Greek yoghurt
250g frozen mixed berries, defrosted
2 big pinches ground mixed spice
2 tsp runny honey, for drizzling

Toast the crumpets in a toaster, or under the grill, until lightly browned.

Place a non-stick frying pan over a medium-high heat and add the fruit. Sprinkle with two good pinches of ground mixed spice and cook for just a minute, tossing regularly until the fruit is softened but still holding its shape. This will bring out the sweetness without the need to add extra sugar.

Divide the hot, toasted crumpets between two plates. Spoon the fruit over the top and allow some of it to tumble on to the plates. Spoon the yoghurt on top and drizzle with a little honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment