Wednesday 9 January 2013

Mexican Chicken and Tortilla Soup



 










This is the Mexican meal I had on Saturday night. It's a recipe that my sister gave me which I think she got from a friend. It is super tasty and obviously the amount of chilli/chipotle paste is quite low, so if you like things spicy you can always add more. I forgot half the toppings but it was delicious nonetheless and definitely one I will be making again.

I am entering this into Souper Sundays over with Deb at Kahakai Kitchen.
















Mexican Chicken and Tortilla Soup
(Serves 2)

1 onion, finely chopped
I clove garlic, finely chopped
4 chicken thighs, de-boned and cut into large pieces
1 tsp smoked chilli paste/chipotle paste or 1 deseeded chilli
2 tsp tomato puree
500ml chicken stock
1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes or passata
1 x 400g can black beans
100g sweetcorn
2 handfuls tortilla chips
Coriander, limes, avocado, sour cream or grated cheese for garnish
 
Heat a large sauce pan and add a little oil. Add the onion   and cook for 5 mins until translucent. Add the garlic and tomato puree and cook for 1 min more (if adding a chilli chop up finely and put in at this point). Add the chicken and cook for a couple of minutes but don't brown, put the stock, paste and tomatoes in, and cook it down until the chicken is cooked.
To serve, place tortilla chips in the bottom of a bowl, pour the soup on top then garnish with sour cream, coriander, avocado, cheese and serve.

1 comment:

  1. You got the avocado on top and to me that is the most important topping. ;-) This looks so hearty and good--thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete