Wednesday 23 January 2013

Hake Bobotie

I have been sick for the last couple of days so I apologise for the lack of posts and indeed the lack of a meal plan for this week. I will back fill posts as I have way too many recipes that I want to share and not enough days in the week.

I have South African relatives and when one came over to London she talked about making bobotie for the guys setting up and manning the South Africa stand at Chelsea Flower Show. I was intrigued but discovered that it is made with mince, which I don't hugely like and wouldn't cook with unless I was making burgers or meatballs. Then I stumbled across this fishy version when browsing for recipes and I have to say it was a huge hit, deliciously flavourful with that hit of spice.
















Hake Bobotie (adapted from Fish is the Dish)
(Serves 4)

3 fillets of hake, cut into large chunks
2 potatoes, cubed
1 carrot, sliced
1 onion, sliced
1 garlic clove, sliced
3 free-range eggs , beaten
2 tbsp rapeseed oil
3 tbsp white wine vinegar
2 tbsp mango chutney
100ml double or whipping cream
1 tsp ground turmeric
1 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp grated nutmeg
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Preheat the oven to 180C.

Cook the potatoes in a pot of boiling water for 4 minutes, then drop in the carrot slices for a further minute. Drain and set aside.

Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the onion and garlic for 4-5 minutes, or until softened. Add the potato, carrot and chunks of fish.

Pour over the vinegar and stir in the mango chutney, then tip the mixture into a baking dish. Beat the eggs, cream and spices together in a bowl. Add the parsley and season with salt and pepper.

Spoon the egg mixture over the fish mixture, and bake for 15-20 minutes or until just set.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I've heard of bobotie but not a fishy version - and I must say I'm intrigued! Looks yummy!

    Sx

    ReplyDelete