Wednesday 16 January 2013

Cream of Celery Soup

On Saturday I had a vegetarian day. I try to eat at least one maybe two vegetarian meals a week but I don't usually manage a whole day. This cream of celery soup is really easy to make and delicious. I have made this soup before but forgot to take any pictures and it was so good that I decided to make it again. That and I had scored a couple of very cheap celeriac at the supermarket! I served this with a cheese sandwich in a crusty brown roll and it set us up well for an afternoon of wallpaper stripping.
















Cream of Celery Soup (from Cook Sister)
(serves 4)

1 tbsp oil
350g celery stalks, chopped
250g celeriac, peeled and cubed
150g leek, thinly sliced
600ml good vegetable stock
120ml single cream
salt and black pepper

Heat the oil in a saucepan. Add the chopped vegetables and cook for 3 or 4 minutes until everything has started to soften.
















Add the hot stock, bring to a boil, cover and allow to simmer for about 25 minutes, until the celeriac is fork tender.

Remove from the heat and use a hand blender to blend the vegetables and stock into a puree. Add more hot stock if necessary to thin the soup.
















Stir in the cream, check for seasoning and return to a low heat to heat through.  Serve with crusty bread or a cheese sandwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment