Monday 31 December 2012

Bubble and Squeak

I did come home with a small amount of leftover veg after our meal on Boxing Day, a few brussels and some courgettes, not really enough to do anything major with but I was sure I could find something. I added some carrots and spring greens and came up with a bubble and squeak cake, it is, after all, the traditional thing to eat after a roast meal. The first half of the cake I served with leftover cold roast pork and some pickle. The second half I had topped with a poached egg as an accompaniement to meatloaf. I can heartily recommend both!
















Bubble and Squeak
(Serves 2)

1 tsp ducks fat, goose fat or butter
2 rashers of streaky bacon, chopped
leftover veg (Brussels sprouts (sliced), cabbage, carrots, courgettes, greens)
200g cold leftover mashed potatoes (I used leftover swede and potato mash)

Heat a small frying pan and melt the fat, allow it to get nice and hot, then add the bacon fry for a couple of minutes. Next, add leftover veg and let it colour slightly, another couple of minutes.

Next, add the potato. Work everything together in the pan and push it down so that the mixture covers the base of the pan - allow the mixture to catch slightly on the base of the pan before turning it over and doing the same again. Cut in half and serve.

1 comment: