Tuesday 4 December 2012

Portuguese Kale and Potato Soup

Yesterday I spent three hours at the hospital, including a visit to the headache clinic. I am on the waiting list for botox and before anyone gets started I am not, at the age of 28, worried about wrinkles. It's a new treatment for chronic migraine, only offered to those who have tried at least 3 medications that haven't worked. I'm about to start my sixth. I'm not looking forward to the injection  side of things, but all of the medications on offer have a number side effects and this doesn't. Of course there is no guarantee that it will work, in 50% of cases it doesn't, but I am willing to try pretty much anything. There is a six month waiting list currently so we shall wait and hopefully get a shot at it in May/June time. Otherwise I am trying a new medication and carrying on as normal. On to the soup...










This soup was awesome, it is such a comforting dish and it has lovely kale which makes it feel nice and healthy too. I'm entering this into Souper Sundays at Kahakai Kitchen.
















Portuguese Kale and Potato Soup (from Gourmet Magazine November 2009)
(Serves 4)
 
cooking spray
225g smoked sausage
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
500g potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
1.5l water
500g kale, stems and centre ribs discarded and leaves very thinly sliced
 
Spray a heavy pan with cooking spray and brown the sausage, for 2-3 mins, stirring often. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a bowl.
 
Spray the pan again and cook onion and garlic with salt and pepper over medium heat, stirring often, until browned, 7 to 8 minutes.
          
Add the potatoes, water, and 1 teaspoon salt and simmer, covered, until potatoes are very tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
 
Mash some potatoes into soup to thicken, then add kale and simmer, uncovered, for about 5 minutes until tender. Stir in sausage and cook until just heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you can get to try the treatment.

    Portuguese kale soup is one of my favorites--so hearty and good. Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays this week. ;-)

    ReplyDelete