Friday 21 September 2012

Zebra Burger

This one is not really a recipe, we all know how to put a burger together. But this is no ordinary burger, this is a Zebra burger! There is a fantastic stall on Borough Market which sells all kinds of exotic meat, from Kangaroo to Camel and Springbok to Elk, a lot of which come in a burger form. Gamston Wood Farm is in Nottinghamshire and this is where the meat comes from. I like the idea that there are lots of weird and wonderful creatures running around this farm in Nottinghamshire, whether or not this is true I don't know, but it's a lovely idea.

Their main seller is ostrich meat, a really lean meat but really flavourful. Now ostrich is nothing new to me, I grew up not far from an ostrich farm, so have been eating it since I was a teenager but the other meats are something else, the meats change seasonally and they always have about 8 different meats on sale at Borough  Market every Friday and Saturday. I bought a selection of the burgers and have been trying them over the last few weeks. I love trying all the different meats, after all it's not often you get served zebra for dinner!
















The meat from all of these exotic animals is fairly lean, so good for keeping me trim, the burgers are about 4 WeightWatchers Pro Points per serving and it's also exciting to try new things! I pan fried this burger so that I could get it medium in the middle and then I put it in the oven with some cheese on top for a couple of minutes for the cheese to melt. It was lovely and pink in the middle and delicious. I added some pickles, tomatoes and lettuce and served it with spicy sweet potato chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment