Monday 2 July 2012

Chorizo and Red Pepper Fusilli

Over the weekend I had some devastating news. I had a phonecall to say that one of my friends had taken her own life. She had been ill for sometime, but it is still a shock. She was a fantastic baker and a food lover like me and we had some wonderful chats about food over a few glasses of wine. She also loved reading and always had a book to recommend. I can't quite yet comprehend that I won't see her again and that in a couple of weeks we won't meet up, share a bottle of wine and have a good meal. So although this dish has nothing to do with her, its just a meal I ate last week, I dedicate this post and meal to her. I hope she is at peace and she will never be forgotten.
















Chorizo and Red Pepper Fusilli
(Serves 1)
(9 WW ProPoints per serving)

75g wholewheat fusilli pasta
50g fine green beans, trimmed and sliced
cooking spray
15g chorizo, sliced thinly and cut into cubes
75g roasted red peppers, drained and roughly chopped
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley (optional)
Salt and pepper

Bring a saucepan of water to the boil. Add the pasta and cook according to packet instructions, adding the green beans for the final 3-4 mins.

Meanwhile, spray a non stick frying pan with the cooking spray and add the chorizo, cooking it for 1-2 mins until sizzling.

Drain the pasta and beans, reserving 1-2 tbsp of the cooking water in the saucepan. Return the pasta to the pan and add the chorizo, red peppers, olives and parsley if using. Heat for a few moments. Season and serve.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Nic,
    I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. I've had friends die, but never by their own hand. Personally, I think the only way we live on is in the hearts and minds of those whose lives we've touched. I think of my music teacher whenever I play my lute or listen to a piece of early music. You and your friend shared cooking and books. If you think of her when you cook or when you enjoy a good book, I think you're preserving her memory and helping her live on.

    By the way, nice recipe. I may try it tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, in the spirit of your blog, I tried you're recipe but adapted it to what I had on hand. No chorizo, but I did have andouille so I used that. I did have whole wheat fusili. I was going to use the green beans from the garden, but I had fava bean salad that was going to go bad if I didn't use it (large and small fava beans, chick peas, onions, parsley, lemon juice and olive oil), so I substituted that. And I had a jar of chopped red chile peppers, so I used some of that. It was different from your recipe but kept to the spirit. And it was good.

    ReplyDelete