Wednesday 18 April 2012

Refried Bean Quesadillas

I'm still on that Mexican kick with one more recipe to come! These Quesadillas were ok, not the best thing I've ever eaten but pretty good and I made my own refried beans for the first time!



Refried Bean Quesadillas (from Good Food Magazine September 2010)
(Serves 4)

1 tbsp sunflower oil
1 onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
400g can pinto or kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 tsp smoked paprika
8 flour tortillas
100g cheddar, coarsely grated
handful coriander leaves
200g tub fresh tomato salsa

Heat the oil in a large frying pan and cook the onion and garlic for 2 mins. Add the cumin and cook for 1 min more. Tip in the beans, paprika and a splash of water. Using a potato masher, break the beans down as they warm through to make a rough purée. Season generously.



Spread the refried beans onto 4 of the tortillas and scatter over the cheese and coriander. Spoon over the salsa, then top with the remaining tortillas to make 4 sandwiches. Wipe the frying pan with kitchen paper and return to the heat or heat a griddle pan. Cook each sandwich for 1-2 mins on each side until the tortillas are crisp and golden and the cheese is melting. Serve warm, cut into wedges, with extra salsa and soured cream for dipping.

2 comments:

  1. The best refried beans are not, alas, a low calorie food. I think they're made with lard, but they're delicious. We use a canned refried beans made with black beans and lime. They're supposedly Southwestern rather than Mexican, but since I've never been th the southwestern US, I can't vouch for the accuracy of that. But I think they're tastier than the red bean frijoles.

    Making my own frijoles is for me a bit like making my own hummus from dried chickpeas. Yes, I can do it and have done it, but I live in a city with lots of Middle Eastern groceries, so why would I bother?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, if you love Mexican food, you should add Mexico or at least the Southwestern US to your travel agenda. My only exposure to Mexican food was Taco Bell, until I visited San Antonio and had dinner at a somewhat dubious-looking Mexican cafeteria. It was wonderful and I remember thinking, "Oh, this is what it's supposed to taste like!". Since then I've had Mexican food home-cooked by friends and co-workers and realized that it's a wonderful complex cuisine that is under appreciated in the US.

    ReplyDelete