Saturday 7 April 2012

Egg Drop Noodle Soup

Now, as well all know, I love noodle soup. It is one of my most comforting foods, but this was such a disappointment. I found it really bland and I really couldn't get the hang of swirling, pouring and holding the fork, so I just ended up with lumps of egg in it! It really needed something else, but I'm not sure what!


Egg Drop Noodle Soup (adapted from Good Food Magazine March 2011)
(Serves 4)

2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, diced
1.2l low-salt chicken stock
140g wholewheat noodles
4 heads pak choi, sliced
2 eggs, beaten
squeeze lemon juice
½ tsp sherry vinegar
2 spring onions, finely chopped

Place the chicken and stock in a large pan and bring to a simmer for 5 mins. Meanwhile, cook the noodles following pack instructions.

Add the pak choi to the stock and cook for 2 mins. Stir the broth vigorously, then while it's still swirling, hold a fork over the pan. Pour the eggs over the prongs in a slow stream. Stir again in the same direction then turn off the heat. Add a squeeze of lemon juice and the vinegar.

Drain the noodles and divide between four bowls. Ladle over the egg drop broth, scatter with onions and serve.

1 comment:

  1. It is tricky. I've had more failures than successes. I'm trying to remember what the trick is. I think it has something to do with how hot the broth is and how fast you swirl. I haven't done it in a while, but now that our favorite Chinese take-out has closed, I may have to learn it again. Egg drop soup is our comfort food when we're feeling ill.

    ReplyDelete