Thursday 26 April 2012

Chicken and Bean Enchiladas

I got on the scales the other days stared in horror, I have managed to put on almost a stone in 3 months, partly due to lack of self control and partly because of some medication I'm taking, so I am back on Weightwatchers and actually going to the meetings to see if I can actually shed some of this weight, the Online thing just didn't work for me. I only started on Tuesday and I am, at the moment, hungry, but I have found lots of interesting recipes that will fit in with losing weight and I will get there.

To use up the refried beans that I made, I found a recipe for enchiladas that called for a tin of refried beans and substituted my own in. I also think I used oregano instead of coriander as it is at the moment going mad in my garden! This also freezes really well in portions. 




Chicken and Bean Enchiladas (From Good food Magazine July 2009)
(Serves 10)

3 tbsp olive oil
2 red onions, sliced
2 red peppers, sliced
3 red chillies, 2 deseeded and chopped, 1 sliced
small bunch coriander, stalks finely chopped, leaves roughly chopped - plus extra to serve
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp ground coriander
1 tbsp cumin seeds
6 skinless chicken breasts, cut into small chunks
415g can refried beans
198g can sweetcorn, drained
700ml passata
1 tsp caster sugar
10 tortillas
2 x 142ml pots soured cream
200g cheddar, grated

Heat 2 tbsp of the oil in your largest pan, then fry the onions, peppers, chopped chilli and coriander stalks with half the garlic for 10 mins until soft. Stir in 2 tsp ground coriander and 2 tsp cumin seeds, then fry for 1 min more. Meanwhile, in another frying pan, fry the chicken in the remaining oil, in batches, until browned - add it to the pan of veg as it is done.

Stir the beans, sweetcorn, coriander leaves and 150ml of the passata into the veg and chicken. In a bowl, mix the rest of the passata with the other crushed garlic clove, the remaining spices and the sugar, then set aside.

To assemble, lay the tortillas onto a board and divide the chicken mixture between them, folding over the ends and rolling up to seal. Divide the passata sauce into the dishes you are using, then top with the enchiladas. Dot over the soured cream, sprinkle with grated cheese and scatter with the sliced chilli.

Cool and freeze, or, if eating straight away, heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6, then bake for 30 mins, scattering with more coriander leaves to serve, if you like.




No comments:

Post a Comment