Friday 3 February 2012

Parsnip and Lemon Soup

It is definitely soup weather out there. It was so cold this morning! I am stocking up my freezer with easy and warming soups and this one comes from one of my new WeightWatchers cook books. I actually didn't enjoy this soup all that much, I found it a bit sweet for my liking, even when I added lemon juice to the recipe. It does however taste better with the addition of a little more lemon and also once frozen and defrosted.

I have to say that despite joining Weightwatchers and buying the cookbooks, this dieting thing is not going well! I think I just like food too much!



Parsnip and Lemon Soup (from Weightwatchers Cook Smart Easy Everyday)
(Serves 4)

600g Parsnips, peeled and sliced
1 onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
Grated rind of 1 lemon
750 ml vegetable stock
300ml skimmed milk
Olive oil spray
salt and pepper
handful of chopped parsley or coriander (optional)

Spray a large saucepan with the oil spray and heat. When the oil is hot, stir in the onion. Turn the flame under the pot to low, cover and leave for approximately 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

When the onion is soft, stir in the parsnips then sprinkle over the cumin. Fry for approximately one minute, stirring all the time, or until the aroma rises.

Pour over the stock, stir and bring it to the boil. Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes or until the parsnip is soft.

Remove the pot from the heat and transfer the contents to a blender and blend the contents until smooth.

Return the soup to the pot. Stir in the milk, lemon rind and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment