Wednesday 15 September 2010

Daring Cooks September 2010: Oven Roasted Tomatoes

The September 2010 Daring Cooks’ challenge was hosted by John of Eat4Fun. John chose to challenge The Daring Cooks to learn about food preservation, mainly in the form of canning and freezing. He challenged everyone to make a recipe and preserve it. John’s source for food preservation information was from The National Center for Home Food Preservation.

I picked the Oven Roasted Tomatoes because I have had a tonne of tomatoes from the garden this year and I'm slowly running out of ideas of what to do with them! I actually used oregano instead of the basil called for as that's what I had in. I loved this recipe, the tomatoes came out of the oven so sweet and juicy. I had some in a salad last week and they were so good. I froze these ones as suggested, but last year I made some similar, canned them and used them throughout the winter to remind me of that lovely summery taste.



Recipe: Oven Roasted Tomatoes (for Freezing)

10-12 Tomatoes, cut in half or thirds. Core if needed
3 fresh basil leaves, chiffonade (Cut into thin strips)
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tbsp Olive Oil
1-2 pinches salt
1/4 tsp ground cloves

Lay the tomato halves out on a baking tray and sprinkle over the garlic, basil, salt and cloves. Poor over the olive oil. Bake in the oven at 325 F for an hour or until slightly browned.

The finished tomatoes can be stored as-cut, chopped or pureed to make a sauce or tomato paste

No comments:

Post a Comment