Sunday 26 September 2010

Crockpot Barbeque Pulled Pork

I finally used my crockpot for something other than chilli or apple sauce! I made Barbecue Pulled Pork from Steph at A Year of Slow Cooking. I have never eaten pulled pork before but it always looks so good that I had to try it. I did use a very cheap cut of pork shoulder, which seemed to let out an awful lot of water and I didn't really end up with a sauce, just a watery tomato ketchup mixture. So I made some barbecue sauce to go with the pulled pork. My Mum used to make this sauce all the time when I was little, it is really lovely with chicken thighs, but it was also delicious with this pulled pork. I served it with plain boiled rice.



Smokey Barbecue Sauce

1 oz butter
1/4 pint water
1 tbsp mustard
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1 tbsp demerera sugar
1 garlic clove
1 slice of lemon
1 bay leaf
2 tbsp wine vinegar
pinch cayenne pepper
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
3 tbsp tomato ketchup
1/2 tbsp tomato puree
salt and pepper

Melt the butter in a saucepan and fry the onion and garlic until soft but not brown. Add the vinegar, water, mustard, sugar, lemon, bay leaf and cayenne pepper. Bring slowly to the boil and simmer for 15 mins.

Stir in the remaining ingredients with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for a further 5-10mins. Remove the bay leaf and lemon before serving with barbecued meats.

No comments:

Post a Comment