Saturday 29 May 2010

Sausages and Gravy with Pease Pudding

I have wanted to make pease pudding ever since I found it in an old recipe book I have. That recipe doesn't have any measurements in it, so I found a modern recipe to use instead. I love old cookbooks for ideas and to see what people were eating a hundred, two hundred years ago. I also have a couple of Roman recipe books, modern but what the Romans would have eaten sort of things, which my Dad bought me on our trip to Hadrian's Wall last. I still need to try some of these out, but back to pease pudding. I kept meaning to make it and never quite getting round to it, I did have it planned on day but when I read the packet I realised that the split peas needed soaking. So I finally got myself in gear last week and made it!



It was good, interesting textures. I added creme fraiche right at the end as the consistency was a bit too stiff. I served it with ratatouille, runner beans, sausages and gravy.

Pease Pudding (adapted from Good Food Channel)
(Serves 2)

1 medium onion, halved
1 carrots, cut into 4
1 bay leaves
450g green split peas
1 pinch black pepper
50g butter
2 tbsp creme fraiche

Place the onion, carrot, bay leaf and yellow split peas in a saucepan. Cover with cold water.

Bring to the boil and remove any scum from the top.

Reduce the heat and simmer for 1 hour or until the peas are tender.

Remove the carrot, onion and bay leaf. Puree the peas and then season with salt and freshly ground pepper.

Beat in the butter and creme fraiche.

No comments:

Post a Comment