Thursday 27 May 2010

Aloo Palak

My Mum gave me an enormous bag of spinach last week out of her garden, so whilst looking for recipes using lots of spinach I came across a recipe for Aloo Palak. I was having a bit of a curry craving too so this suited perfectly. I can't remember where I got the recipe from, as I just copied and pasted it to word to print out, so I'm sorry for not acknowledging my source, but it really was delicious.



I also had chickpea curry and served it with a naan bread.



Aloo Palak
(Serves 2)

1 bunch spinach
2 potatoes
1 onion cut, chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped
Small piece of ginger
½ tsp red chili powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp cumin and turmeric

Heat some oil in a pan, add the garlic, ginger and onions and sauté them. Add the spinach and cook. Turn off the heat. After it cools down blend in a mixer or blender.

Meanwhile boil the potatoes and cut into cubes. Add turmeric, salt and mix them.

Put 1 tsp oil in a pan and sauté the cumin seeds. Once the cumin splutters add the spinach paste and let it cook for few minutes. Now add the boiled potatoes, garam masala, coriander powder, cumin powder, red chili powder, and salt for taste. Add water only if it is needed. Cook for 5-10 mins covered until the potato absorbs the flavor. Serve with Naan bread.

1 comment:

  1. Mmm, I love Aloo Palak. I'm going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete