Friday 29 January 2010

Macaroni Cheese

Whilst sorting out my cupboards, I came across two tins of evaporated milk. Now I'm not really eating sweet things, so I'm definitely not bothering to cook sweet things, so I looked for a savoury dish using evaporated milk and apparently there are quite a few out there. The Canadian carnation website has some fantastic main dish meals using evaporated milk. However this macaroni cheese recipe came from Nigella Express, and I suspect that's what I originally bought the milk for in the first place and forgot about!



It turned out a bit funny though. I'm not sure if I cooked it too long, it was slightly runny in the middle, but it came out more like a cheesy baked custard! It was ok, but I'm not sure if I'll bother making it again!



Macaroni Cheese (adapted from Nigella Express)
(Serves 4)

250g macaroni
250g mixture of mature cheddar, emmental and Stilton
8 slices smoked bacon
250ml evaporated milk
2 eggs
grating of fresh nutmeg
salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 220C. Cook the macaroni according to the packet instructions, drain and then put back into the hot pan.

While the pasta is cooking, put the cheese, evaporated milk, eggs and nutmeg in a processor and blitz to mix. Or grate the cheese and mix everything by hand.

Pour the cheese sauce over the macaroni, stir well, and season with salt and pepper to taste.

Tip into a 25.5cm diameter dish (wide and shallow is best) and bake in the very hot oven for about 10-15 mins or until it is bubbling and blistering on top.

2 comments:

  1. Hm, I've never had egg in macaroni and cheese... maybe that's what gave it the custard texture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You havn't posted anything for ages!
    E xx

    ReplyDelete