Thursday 17 December 2009

Stir-Fried Pork in Ginger with Onion

Wow, ok so far its been a bit of a mad week! I got home on Monday night to discover that I had no heating or hot water! The pressure in my boiler had disappeared and the nob at the bottom of the boiler which is supposed to re-pressurise the system didn't work! I went to bed in pyjama bottoms, a long sleeved nightie and socks and I had to get up in the middle of the night to put a jumper on it was so cold!

I called British Gas at 8am and they had an engineer out to me at 3pm that same day, who fixed the problem. He did say that I was very lucky to get someone the same day as they had had a very busy Monday, but it's fixed and I have heating! It is fantastic! I was amazed at how quickly the flat got really cold.

I also handed in both my pieces of coursework and my website is all up and running for the duration of marking anyway! Its so nice to have them in and now I can have a peaceful Christmas before term starts again in January. I had an amazing trip to Paris and I will write more about that later in the week as I took pictures too!

I thought I'd share this Chinese dish with you, its really simple to make but really tasty too. It could have done with a little more sauce however and I think I ended up squirting some tonkatsu sauce into the side of the bowl so that the rice wasn't too dry.



Stir-Fried Pork in Ginger with Onion (adapted from Japanese cooking for two by Kurumi Hayter)

1/2lb sliced pork
1 tbsp oil
1 medium onion, peeled and sliced

for the marinade
1 oz ginger, peeled and grated
1 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sake

Mix the ginger, soy sauce and sake together in a bowl to make the marinade. Add the pork and marinade for 30 mins.

Heat the oil in a frying pan or wok. Add the pork to the pan and saute for 3 mins

Add the onion and cook for 2-3 mins more.

Add the remaining marinade and cook for 1-2 mins. Serve with noodles or rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment