Monday 14 September 2009

Menu Plan Monday

I had a really lovely day yesterday wandering around central London. My first stop was to a street vendor who sells Steamed Buns at the entrance to China Town, to grab a vegetable steamed bun for breakfast, delicious! I then went to the Wonderful Patisserie on Gerard Street in Chinatown, where I bought a selection of their savoury filled breads, bbq pork filled, ham and spring onion filled and a sausage bun. They truly were wonderful. I am looking for a Japanese bread recipe online so that I can try and recreate them at home, but with little success.

I then went to the Japan Centre and bought two new Bento boxes and some noodles. They are moving on October 17th to a new home just around the corner on Regent Street, which will have even more Japanese food. I finished off the trip with a stop at John Lewis' Cookware department in Oxford Street and bought a house warming gift for a friend. It was such a nice way to start the day before getting on with all the boring jobs I had to do at home! I ended the day with Japanese beef curry and I watched Amelie, which I love.

This weeks Menu Plan Monday is lots of recipes I have tried before, mainly for ease and speed as I have a lot to get done this week. I am really looking forward to the Mustard Pork Chops with Gnocchi on Saturday, I am completely in the mood for some more comforting dishes now the weather has got colder.

Sunday
Lunch: BBQ Pork Bun
Dinner: Japanese Beef Curry, Egg Fried Rice

Monday
Lunch: Fiorentina Pasta Bake, Salad
Dinner: Confit de Canard with Potatoes, Veg

Tuesday
Lunch: Hot Smoked Salmon Pasta Salad
Dinner: Out at a friend's new flat

Wednesday
Lunch: Bratwurst Sandwich
Dinner: Devilled Mackerel with Spinach and Potatoes

Thursday
Lunch: Stir fry veg and noodles, Battered Prawns, Sweet Chilli Dip (Bento)
Dinner: Breaded Plaice, Veg

Friday
Lunch: Pesto Potato Salad, Mini Quiche, Salad (Bento)
Dinner: Macaroni Cheese, Salad

Saturday
Lunch: Somen Noodles with Fish Pasta Sauce, Gyoza, Green beans with Soy Sauce (Bento)
Dinner: Mustard Pork Chops with Gnocchi (Nigella Express)

3 comments:

  1. You always have the best menu plans! I draw so much inspiration from your recipes.

    Recently, I came across this wonderful little blog and, though not frequently updated, it has some amazing bento-friendly recipes which include dough for steamed buns such as you described!

    Link: http://www.c4vct.com/kym/bento/steamb2.htm

    And a version of the buns baked instead of steamed: http://www.c4vct.com/kym/bento/bakebun.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chinese food, Japanese food and French cinema, how international. That sounds like a lovely day! Mmmm Japanese beef curry, will we get a recipe for that? Sounds yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Casi Leigh, Thank you! They look like awsome recipes and I am going to have to try them out.

    Hope, It was a fantastic day! Beef curry recipe should be up in a couple of days, I did cheat with a Japanese curry block though! Delicious! How was your trip to London?

    ReplyDelete