Tuesday 14 July 2009

Grilled Lemon Chicken Kebabs

I am always looking for quick and easy meals that I can make on the evenings that I work late. I usually just stick a pie in the oven or microwave something, but I'm trying to make proper meals. The one that I picked for last Thursday was Grilled Lemon Chicken Kebabs from Delia's How to Cook, book 2. It was fantastically easy and quick to make, I put the chicken in its marinade before I went to work that morning and the flavours had worked their magic by the time I came home. I served it with some gnocchi with homemade pesto, and a big side salad.



It does look rather burnt from the picture but actually just the lemon quarters burnt, the chicken was lovely and brown. The chicken really needed some sort of sauce, and the original recipe called for a gremolata, but I didn't have the energy to be doing that at 9pm. Maybe just a dollop of creme fraiche or sour cream would have been nice with it.

Grilled Lemon Chicken Kebabs (from How to Cook, Book 2 by Delia Smith)
(Serves 2)

2 boneless chicken breasts
juice 1 lemon,
1 tsp lemon zest
3 thick slices of lemon, cut into quarters 55ml olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 desert spoon chopped fresh oregano
1 tsp white wine vinegar
2 bay leaves, torn in half
salt and pepper

Chop each piece of chicken into 5 pieces, and place them in a bowl along with the lemon juice and zest, oil, garlic, oregano, white wine vinegar and plenty of seasoning. Cover and leave to marinate overnight or for a few hours.

To cook the chicken, preheat the grill to its highest setting at least 10 mins ahead, then first thread half a bay leaf on the first skewer, followed by a quarter slice of lemon, then a piece of chicken. Carry on alternating the lemon and chicken until you have used 5 pieces of chicken, finishing off with a lemon quarter and a another bay leaf half at the end and making sure you pack everything together as tightly as possible.

Repeat with the second skewer, then place both on a grill rack and put under the grill. As the kebabs cook baste them with the marinade juices. They will need 10 mins on each side to cook through.

1 comment:

  1. I love Kebabs and marinating them all day... yum! They look delicious.

    ReplyDelete