Friday 17 July 2009

Chargrilled Chicken, Soba and Miso Soup

I am trying to write 150 words on an 1838 script for a dramatised version of Oliver Twist for our company magazine and I'm struggling and procrastinating! Whilst the book is fascinating, I always find it really hard to start writing and scared of seeing myself in print. Weird I know. It is a beautiful handwritten script, written and performed whilst the book was still being serialised, and is part of the Sadler's Wells Archive which is held where I work. I am slowly and painstakingly going through the collection in preparation for an exhibition next year.

This has nothing whatsoever to do with noodle soup, except that when I came home after work on Monday it was just what I needed. Noodle soup always symbolises comfort food to me, its the thing I want most when its raining and horrible outside, as it was here on Monday.



This soup was actually rather tasty. I put in lots of extra veggies such as spinach and bean sprouts to bulk up the veggie content, and although I used a different sort of miso it was still nice and warming.

Chargrilled Chicken, Soba and Miso soup (from Wagamama Ways with Noodles)
(Serves 2)

for the marinade
2 tsp hoisin sauce
1 tsp fish sauce
1 tsp mirin

1 chicken breast
750ml chicken stock
1 tbsp red miso paste
3cm piece of ginger root, peeled and thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
200g soba noodles
2 pak choi, roughly chopped
1 hard-boiled egg, shelled and halved

To make the marinade, combine the hoisin sauce, fish sauce and mirin. Add the chicken breast and toss well. Set aside for an hour, or overnight in the fridge.

Chargrill or grill the chicken for 4-5mins each side until cooked.

Place the chicken stock, miso paste, ginger and garlic in a pan and bring to the boil. Add the soba noodles and pak choi and cook for 3 mins or until the noodles are just cooked.

Divide the soup between 2 bowls, ensuring each has an equal share of noodles. Slice the chicken on the diagonal and place on the noodles and broth. Top with half a boiled egg and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment