Wednesday 8 April 2009

Spaghetti alla Crema di Scampi

This weeks cook book recipe was Spaghetti with Cream and Scampi Sauce from The Top One Hundred Pasta Sauces by Diane Seed. I have had this book for ages, but vary rarely make anything out of it. I really should use it more often because it has some fantastic recipes in it, and I love joining in with Presto Pasta Nights, so much so that I am actively seeking out nice pasta recipes to use!



This one was delicious, creamy without being too sweet. I did adapt the recipe slightly to my own tastes and I added the asparagus for a bit of veggie content which actually worked really well. I think the idea of the recipe is to create a prawn and cream sauce because the instructions were to chop the tails finely, but I like to see the prawns in a pasta dish! I also added some cooking water to thin down the creamy sauce. I will definitely be making this one again and I am also entering it into Presto Pasta Nights, this week held by Marye of Baking Delights!

Spaghetti with Cream, Asparagus and Scampi Sauce (adapted from Top 100 Pasta Sauces)

500g spaghetti
2 1/2 tbsp olive oil
12 medium sized unshelled raw scampi/prawns
9 stalks of asparagus, chopped in 1 inch pieces
1 glass of white wine
300ml double cream
salt and Pepper
parsley

Cook the pasta following the packet instructions. Steam the asparagus over the top of the cooking pasta for about 5 mins.
Meanwhile heat the oil in a pan. Peel the scampi tails, chop each in half and add to the pan. Stir with a wooden spoon for a few minutes then add the white wine. When the wine has evaporated add the cream and bring it to a boil, add a ladle full of cooking water to thin. Simmer for 5 mins, season with salt and pepper.

When the pasta is cooked, drain and add to the sauce pan, mix in the asparagus, and mix until each pasta strand is covered in sauce. Serve in a warmed dish and sprinkle with parsley.

3 comments:

  1. Totally fantastic! Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. delicous, some of my favorite flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good! Makes me wish I liked shrimp.

    ReplyDelete