Tuesday 3 February 2009

Chicken and Potato Curry Puff

After yesterday's chaos, London seems to be closer to normal today. Most things were running and apart from the ice underfoot, the journey to work was pretty uneventful if slippy! I did get to leave work early yesterday as well. They closed the library at 5pm so that we could all get home safely, which was much better than trying to pick a path home through the ice in the dark. I arrived home to find the house being guarded by a giant snowman, taller than me. It made me feel safer that the house finally has some proper security!

Dinner last night needed to be warm and filling so I made a Chicken and Potato Curry Puff. Anything with puff pastry always makes me feel better. This recipe is based on Flaky Chicken Curry Puff from Beachlover's Kitchen. However, I made a few adjustments. I don't have the space to make my own pastry so I bought some puff pastry and used that. I also don't deep fry them, (I have a huge fear of deep fat frying) but bake them in the oven instead. I served it with some stir fried spinach and broccoli with garam masala, raita and tamarind sauce.



Chicken and Potato Curry Puff

500gm chicken breast, cubed
1/2 pound potato, diced
2 large onion, diced
2 tbsp curry powder
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp oil for frying

Peel the potato and cut it into cubes, boil until tender. Set aside.

Heat a wok or frying pan with oil and add in the cubed chicken breast, potato and onion. Add the sugar and curry powder, mix well and fry until the chicken is cooked. Leave the cooked filling to cool on a plate.

Take the Puff pastry, I used the ready rolled sheets, and cut one sheet into four. Spoon the filling onto one half of each square of puff pastry sheet, and egg wash around the filling using a beaten egg. Fold the rest of the pastry over, and using your fingers crimp the edges together.

Egg wash the top and cook in the oven at 200C for about 20/25 mins or until golden brown.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I just tried it over the weekend and my family my boyfriend loved it. He said it had just the right amount of spice and wanted more! I think the chicken to potato ratio is perfect. A little too much filling for two puff pastry sheets though (I divided each sheet into 4 puffs). I'll have to buy more sheets next time. I'm definitely going to make this again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm glad you liked it, and thank you for trying it! It is one of those recipes I make a batch of and then freeze! I think I actually made four in total as well, but got it confuised with another similar puff pastry thing that I make! I will amend the post!

    ReplyDelete