Monday 12 January 2009

Wiener Schnitzel and Polenta with a Tomato Sauce

Saturday was a fairly quiet day. I was at work all day and then I went to the new Tesco Metro near Highbury and Islington Station to buy a few bits. I found some interesting things there, as they have a lot of ranges that are usually restricted to the larger stores. I managed to get some Lemon Grass Krupuk, which are Indonesian Prawn Crackers to go with last night's dinner. and some creamed coconut from the Cook's Ingredients Range, which also includes lots of obscure ingredients not usually found in such a small store.

For dinner I wanted to try out the Polenta I got from the Farm Shop a couple of weeks ago. I have never tried Polenta before so I followed this Creamy Polenta recipe from The Merlin Menu and it was, ok, it had sort of solidified whilst I was taking the pictures, so I wonder if I didn't add enough water or if that's just what it does! It went well with the wiener schnitzel and tomato sauce and I had loads of leftovers which I have put in the fridge and am going to pan fry and have tonight with prawns and asparagus. I then served it with ribbons of carrot and courgette which I lightly sauteed.



The basic tomato sauce is a really simple but delicious recipe that I got from my ex-boyfriend, who cooked really good Italian food. I add cream or creme fraiche to it as I like the extra flavour it gives.

Basic Tomato Sauce
(Serves 2)

1 onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 cans of chopped or whole plum tomatoes
2 tbsp of cream or creme fraiche

Sweat the onions over a low heat in a frying pan and when they have softened add the garlic and cook for another minute.

Add the tomatoes and turn the heat down and leave it to cook, stirring occasionally for about 20mins.

When most of the liquid has evaporated, tip the sauce into a food processor, blender or use a hand blender to blend the sauce until smooth.

Then add the cream and serve.

You could also add herbs to the sauce if you wanted to.

1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    That is what the polenta does. It solidifies as it cools. Oftentimes I pour it into a pan, let it cool, and slice into squares. Serve it warmed or fried.

    I'll add a not to my blog so that folks will know it solidifies and is normal.

    Thanks for mention.

    Ron Merlin
    TheMerlinMenu

    ReplyDelete