Thursday 15 January 2009

A Trio of Curries

Yesterday after a busy afternoon of flat viewings I wanted something flavoursome for dinner, so I got out my cookbooks and tried to decide on a curry to cook. I live in a very multicultural area of London. There is a huge mix of Eastern European, Afro-Caribbean, Asian and Turk and Cypriot populations, this is fantastic for me as it means that all I have to do is walk for about 5 minutes in any direction and I can find shops selling all sorts of weird and wonderful ingredients, plus they seem to be cheaper than the supermarkets. It is one of the things I love most about living in a capital city.

So I popped round the corner last night and came back with 5 Naan Bread, which actually resemble the Naan Bread you get in a restaurant, a tin of Ghee, and some Gram Flour in anticipation of dinner. I decided on a combination of three curries.
The first was Bombay Potatoes, I already had a spice mix for this which came out of a packet made by the Bhaji Man, and I added some tomatoes for some extra colour.
The second was Fried Okra with Garam Masala, which was pretty much the same as I had last week with lentil curry.
The third was Malai Chicken Curry from my Slimming World Curry Feasts book, which sounds like a travesty but I tend to ignore the slimming aspect and it really does have some good recipes in it. This was all served with one of those yummy Naan Breads.



Malai Chicken (adapted from Slimming World Curry Feasts)
Serves 4

1 tsp crushed cardamom seeds
2 tsp mild curry powder
700g Chicken breasts, cut into chunks
1 tsp mild chilli powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tbsp tomato puree
150g pot of natural yoghurt
150ml chicken stock

Melt some ghee in a saucepan on a medium heat. Add the cardamom and curry powder and fry for 10-15 seconds.
Throw in the chicken and fry on a high heat for 5-6mins. Add the chilli powder and turmeric and season well.
Mix together the tomato puree, yoghurt, and stock and pour into the pan. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook gently for 15mins or until tender.
Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment