Sunday 18 January 2009

Swordfish Curry

Whilst I don't think this is strictly a Malaysian dish, it did come out of a Malaysian cookbook and it was really flavoursome. Yesterday was basically a write off, I felt very ill after going out the night before, and whilst I had a really good night out, and gained a copy of Eddie Izzard stand up (Thank you Paul!), I was definitely paying for it the next day!

I had originally planned to have this curry on Friday night but ended up eating out. I had ham, egg and chips, and so instead this became Saturday's dinner. I am not very tolerant of chilli in food, so I lowered the amount of chilli from 6 chillies to 2, and used ordinary green chillies instead of Thai red ones, and with hindsight it could have done with maybe one more green chilli, but the mixture of spices worked really well. This is also my cook book recipe this week.



Swordfish Curry (adapted from Australian Women's Weekly Malaysian Favourites)
Serves 4

6 fresh red Thai chillies, chopped coarsely
2 cloves garlic, quartered
10 shallots (120g), chopped coarsely
1/2 cup (2) sticks of fresh lemongrass, coarsely chopped
5 cm piece of galangal, quartered
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp ground coriander
1/4 tsp turmeric
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 2/3 cup (400ml) coconut milk
1 2/3 cup (400ml) coconut cream
2 cups (400g) jasmine rice
4 swordfish steaks

Blend or process the chilli, garlic, shallot, lemon grass, galangal, curry powder, coriander, turmeric and half of the oil until the mixture forms a paste. I added more oil as it took more to form a paste.

Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan; cook paste, stirring, over a medium heat about 3 mins or until fragrant. Add fish sauce, coconut milk and cream; bring to a boil, reduce the heat an simmer uncovered for about 15mins or until the mixture has thicken slightly.

Meanwhile cook the rice in a large saucepan of boiling water until tender.

Cook swordfish in a griddle pan until browned on both sides and cooked as wanted.

Divide the fish amongst plate and top with the sauce, sprinkle some spring onions or crispy onions over the top if desired.

I have been asked this week why all my recipes are serves 4, when I only cook for myself. This is mainly because I either make more than one serving and then freeze the rest, or because I estimate quantities from larger recipes and really have no idea how much I use!

I also would like to share this morning's brunch. I went to a Pilates class this morning and came back absolutely starving, so I made Eggs Benedict which was absolutely delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment