Tuesday 6 January 2009

Lentil and Okra Curry

Yesterday was my first day back at work after Christmas and also my first late night. I knew it was going to be a long day and, boy did it feel like it, so I picked something simple for dinner. I had some lentil curry which I made a while ago in the freezer, and to that I added some Okra, and served it with a home made Naan Bread.

When I returned to London on Sunday I headed to China Town and to the Loon Moon Supermarket on Gerrard Street, to pick up some Okra for this dinner. I also came home with some Lemongrass and 12 Okra, for just over £1. I love wandering about in China Town with all the fantastic sights and smells, the amazing array of veg they have outside the supermarkets and the whole crispy ducks hung up in the window. I treated myself to Balance and Harmony: Asian Food by Neil Perry in the sales, and I am really looking forward to trying out some the recipes and spending more time in China Town scouting out ingredients!



The Okra I just cut in half and then fried in some oil with a little garam masala and turmeric, and then added them to the lentils.

Naan Bread (from Leiths Cookery Bible)

450g strong plain flour
1 tbsp salt
15g fresh yeast
1 tsp sugar
90-150ml warm milk
2 tbsp sesame oil
150ml plain yoghurt
1 egg, beaten

Sift the flour and salt into a bowl.

Cream the yeast with the sugar, then mix with the milk, oil, yoghurt and the egg.

Mix the yeast mixture into the flour to form a soft but not sticky dough. Knead for 5 mins or until smooth.

Put the dough into an oiled bowl. Cover with greased cling film and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in size.

Turn the dough on to a floured board and knead for another 5 mins.

Divide the dough into 8 equal pieces and roll each piece into an oval measuring about 12.5 x 20cm.

Place on a greased baking sheet. cover with cling film and leave to rise for about 15 mins or until 1 1/2 times the original size.

Preheat the Grill.

Brush the bread with water and grill on each side for 3 mins or until well browned. Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment