Sunday 25 January 2009

Indian Salmon Cakes

Yesterday lunchtime I received a call from my sister asking if we could make dinner that evening instead of tonight. My sister and I usually make dinner for each other, or go out for dinner on a Sunday night. This is mainly because its the one night of the week where we both wouldn't usually do anything and it means we can meet up and have a chat. So it was a good job I had made four of these Indian Salmon Cakes.



I left them in the fridge overnight to harden as I have had huge problems in the past with fishcakes falling apart as they cook and these were perfect, just the right amount of spice. We had crisps and dips to start with and she had my last Lemon Souffle for pudding and I had an Apple Tarte Tatin. As I knew we would be having a starter and pudding, I didn't add any carbohydrate to the main course, but they would be nice served with basmati or pilau rice.

Indian Salmon Cakes (adapted from Olive Magazine March 2008)
Serves 2

1 large sweet potato, about 300g, peeled and cut into small chunks
Indian curry paste (I used Balti paste, about 1 tbsp.)
180g tin skinless and boneless red salmon
a large handful breadcrumbs
a small bunch coriander, chopped
4 tbsp natural yogurt

Boil the sweet potato for 5 minutes then rinse in cold water. Drain really well and mash with the curry paste. Flake the salmon. Add to the potatoes with the breadcrumbs and half the coriander, mix and form into 4 cakes. Chill for 30 minutes or overnight.

Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large non-stick pan and fry the cakes for 3 minutes each side until golden and warmed through. Sit 2 cakes per person on some wilted spinach or watercress and serve with natural yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment