Friday 23 January 2009

Hoisin Pork Stir Fry

Yesterday was chaotic to say the least. On my way to work there were problems with the tube, this led to a half hour walk in the rain and I was 25 minutes late for work. We then had a class of 11 year old kids with learning difficulties in to look at maps and photographs and they ran riot! With staff shortages and other problems I didn't have lunch until 2.30pm! So by 5.30pm I was exhausted and glad to be going home, especially when I knew I had Hoisin Pork Stir Fry waiting for me.
The recipe came from Cory at Culinary Cory, and I took his advice and marinated the pork first so it took on more of the flavour. I also used red pepper instead of green as that's what I had, used sugar snaps instead of celery as I don't like it, and I left out the chilli sauce as I didn't have any. I served it over a bed of egg fried sticky rice and it was delicious, definitely a recipe to use again later.
I try and use chop sticks whenever I eat an Asian meal, even if I'm at home. The practice is always useful so that I don't embarrass myself when I eat out! I was amused to read Maki's post at Just Hungry on chopstick etiquette and I think I am definitely getting better.



Hoisin Pork Stir-fry (adapted from Culinary Cory)

1 ½ cups egg noodles, uncooked
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 – 1 ½ lb pork, thinly sliced
1 cup red peppers, cut into strips
1 cup sugar snap peas
2 tsp soy sauce
2 tsp rice wine vinegar
3 tbsp Hoisin sauce
1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
2 cloves garlic, minced

In a small mixing bowl, whisk the soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, Hoisin sauce, ginger, chili sauce and garlic until well combined. Add the pork and marinate for an hour or overnight.
Bring the vegetable oil to medium high heat in a wok or high-sided fry pan. Saute the pork, while stirring constantly, in the oil for 4 – 6 minutes or until just undercooked.
Add the sugar snaps and red peppers to the wok, and cook for an additional 2 – 4 minutes.
Reduce the temperature to medium heat and add the Hoisin mixture to the wok. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute.
Serve on top of the egg noodles or rice.

1 comment:

  1. I love the changes you made to my recipe. Your ideas sound wonderful. Thanks for referring my blog and trying my recipe.

    ReplyDelete